Jump to Navigation

What can you do if your ex won't pay child support?

When you receive child support, you need to know that it is going to be on time. If it won't be, then you should know why and if you need to take steps to have it enforced.

If your ex-spouse is asked to pay child support, you should receive it in accordance to your divorce papers and child support order. Payment arrangements are set up, so the money might be sent by check or be directly deposited into your accounts.

There are times when people do skip out on making payments, and that's when the child support order needs to be enforced. Your attorney can help you file a complaint with the court or Child Support Services to help you get what your child deserves.

How can the government enforce child support orders?

The courts can step in and withhold your ex's tax refunds to obtain child support that he or she has not paid. The courts can garnish wages or seize property. The courts have the ability to suspend occupational licenses, like a license to practice medicine, if a person isn't paying child support. Additionally, a business license or driver's license could be revoked. These steps are only taken in situations where no other arrangements can be made. It's important not to take away the person's ability to work if there's a chance that he or she will begin to make payments.

If the U.S. Department of State is informed about the child support issue, it's possible for the department to refuse to issue a passport. In cases where the person still won't pay, it's possible that the court can hold him or her in contempt and even issue a jail term.

Source: FindLaw, "Enforcement of Child Support: FAQ's," accessed Jan. 05, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham. Nuckolls. Conner
Law Firm, PLLC

321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Phone: 252-493-6114
Toll-Free: 800-682-1756
Fax: 252-757-3563

Map and directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy