Jump to Navigation

How can you get child support from a nonpaying parent?

There is never a guarantee that a person ordered to pay child support will do so. Even with a court order, some people do not follow through on their responsibilities. If you find yourself in a position where you aren't receiving the compensation you need for your child, don't worry. There are steps that can help you get what you need.

When a parent isn't paying child support or isn't paying all he or she owes, the Child Support Enforcement Program (CSE) can step in to help. This program helps collect payments and then deposits them onto a debit card or by direct deposit into your accounts.

If your ex-spouse is not making child support payments, the CSE can take steps to get the compensation without his or her cooperation. One way to do this is by garnishing his or her wages. When that happens, the agency reaches out to the employer and places a hold on the funds you're owed. The funds are then taken directly from the paycheck and sent to you.

Another thing that could be useful is denying a passport. If your ex-spouse travels for work, for instance, threatening to or denying a passport could threaten him or her enough to make him or her pay what is owed.

Other possibilities include placing liens on the parent's property or putting a warrant out for the person's arrest. There are also a number of other options to consider, which your attorney can discuss with you. With each possibility, you're one step closer to getting the child support your little one deserves.

Source: FindLaw, "North Carolina Child Support Enforcement," accessed June 06, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham. Nuckolls. Conner
Law Firm, PLLC

321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Phone: 252-493-6114
Toll-Free: 800-682-1756
Fax: 252-757-3563

Map and directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy